Initiate and manage pop-up art experiences throughout the diaspora
Coordinate NMAFA’s international activities and partnerships. At present, these consist of twice annually ‘pop-up’ events in different countries with the African diaspora. We are looking for an innovative, experienced and effective project manager who can initiate and manage partnerships with a wide range of creatives (artists/designers/musicians/curators), institutions and donors, as well as manage diverse events (classes and workshops, panels, exhibitions, performances etc) with both an in-person and a virtual component.
The purpose of this contract is to acquire the services of an individual to coordinate NMAFA’s international activities and partnerships under the heading of ‘NMAFA Global’. At present, these consist of twice annually ‘pop-up’ events in different countries with the African diaspora. This contract is for an innovative, experienced and effective project manager who can initiate and manage partnerships with a wide range of creatives (artists/designers/musicians/curators), institutions and donors, as well as manage diverse events (classes and workshops, panels, exhibitions, performances etc) with both an in-person and a virtual component.
SCOPE OF WORK
The contractor shall provide professional, technical, and non-personal services to plan and implement a number of NMAFA Global experiences. Under the Supervision of NMAFA’s Head of Advancement, he/she will work within the project structure at NMAFA to propose and lead projects related to NMAFA’s global presence. The Contractor shall work primarily remotely and periodically onsite to assist with department programs and events depending on COVID-19 restrictions.
The Contractor shall be responsible for the following:
- Propose global art experiences to engage NMAFA’s global community, support NMAFA’s brand, build new partnerships and collaborations and expand NMAFA’s conversations.
- Be the project lead and or manager for approved NMAFA + Experiences (2 x year as funded) which includes identifying goals and objectives, identifying partners (working with the curators to identify artists, curators and others) and potential funders, contracting and managing suppliers, managing project team, and contributing to the positioning and communication of each event/experience.
- Work with the Head of Advancement to identify and solicit funding support in the form of grants, gifts, donations and others
- Oversee the budget for each experience and reconcile accounts
- Submit a close-out report and evaluation after each experience
Without exception, the contractor must plan well in advance to meet all NMAfA Administration and Smithsonian paperwork requirements and deadlines prior to the initiation of any program.
The Contractor shall provide/deliver the following:
- Project Proposals for NMAFA + Global experiences
- Once approved- required project documentation: Project Charter, Project Plans, Partnership Plan, Evaluation Plan, Close-Out Report etc depending on his/her role on the project
- High level budget (working with his/her supervisor) for each event
- SOW/MOUs as necessary for all partners and suppliers
- Implementation of Global Experiences
QUALIFICATIONS OF CONTRACTOR
- Experience planning and executing international art projects and experiences often remotely
- Experience creating compelling experiences for global African communities
- Strong network of suppliers for events, production, communication and creative production in the African diaspora
- Knowledge of African Art and ‘art/culture/fashion/design scenes’, and the SI an asset
- Strong inter-cultural communication and collaboration skills
- Creative, strategic, reliable and organized
- Multi-lingual is an asset, particularly in English, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili or any other African language
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
All work under this purchase order shall begin on or about February 28, 2022 and be completed on or about January 31, 2023. The contract is estimated at 40 hours per week. Due to COVID-19 the contractor’s schedule could change at any time prior oral or written agreement.